Friday, June 21, 2013

(3) Oh the Places You'll go...

This time last year, when I thought about "a year from now" it was a big dark question mark.
Not necessarily scary- just unknown. 

This time last year I was in China, and saying goodbye to Nanjing China, we had spent the last 5 weeks there and were on our way to Shanghai.
That summer was one of the hardest, rewarding, six weeks of my life and I needed Shanghai to regroup, to process, and to get ready to come home.
But before we left China we had packed up our home. Our sweet little Kearney duplex we had spent the first 2 1/2 years of marriage. We had three weeks back at my parents and then onto Florida. Where we would live for the next 3 years.

I was excited- I love adventure. 
We were certain this is was the next step, we had found a place, we were off...

Little did I know

[I must stop here. There is this quote in the movie, Stranger than Fiction, which talks about the phrase "Little did he know" that I find hilarious, a little English Major humor. 
Dustin Hoffman plays an English professor and meets a guy, Harold, who hears the phrase 'Little did he know" spoken by a narrator who he is constantly hearing narrate his life in his head. He goes to the English professor for help and Dustin Hoffman's character responds:

"Did you say 'Little did he know?!'.  I've written papers on 'little did he know' I used to teach a class based on 'little did he know'. Son of a bitch Harold, I once gave an ENTIRE seminar based upon "Little did he know' . 'Little did he know', That means there's something he doesn't know, which means there's something you don't know, did you know that?"]

 I, too, love the phrase 'little did I know' or any variation of it's kind.

B/c after the romance period of being with my love in Florida wore off, it got dark for a month or two. I had a job that was not best for me, I had left the city I had lived in since 2nd grade (that's over 15 yrs people!) and things were not how I imagined.

I had to make decisions based on what was healthy for me and I began to learn how. And I think that was huge for me. HARD but huge.

And eventually it got better. And eventually I got a new job which was SO much better for me. I began to take classes. I applied for the counseling program and GOT IN! I began to make friends.

And almost a year into living in Florida. It seems like I have lived a LIFETIME and not just a year. And I am excited about this upcoming year, getting my Master's In Counseling and how the Lord had provided. 
What a sweet year.

Last year the little I did know before I moved was romanticized and when reality hit- it hit hard.
But little did I know I would make it through, and come out stronger, healthier.
Little did I know it would make my marriage so much stronger, healthier (I am beginning to see a theme here)
Little did I know that not only would I love the weather in January, but Florida would begin to feel like home.

So I am thankful we are here. And I am excited about what this next year will bring. I start my Master's Program July 8th. We got to Florida July 27th last year. My, the things that can happen in a year! 

Sometimes when you take a step of faith you can rest on the fact that God had a plan all along, even when it seems romantic, then looks bleak....

(Little did I know)


1 comment:

  1. So true. I feel the same about the past year. Little did i know :)

    ReplyDelete